When a resident has experienced water damage, no matter the size, it is imperative that it is taken care of immediately. Water damage that has been left to occupy a space will begin to cause issues almost straight away especially to your contents and belongings. Even if the water damage is seemingly small, the problems that stem from the initial damage will ultimately grow into something huge if not dealt with in a timely manner. No matter the amount of water that comes from these disasters, it’s important to treat all as a threat that needs to be addressed immediately.
Water damage can be harmful to both our properties and our bodies. To ensure the safety of yourself and the integrity of your home, it must be known that water damage really is as bad as it is made out to be.
Mold growth is one of the most dangerous and common consequences of water damage. It has an effect on everything in its vicinity, from surfaces to entire structures, to the health of people. Once water sits stagnant in your home, mold will begin to form within 24 hours, as it is a fungal growth that forms and spreads on anything damp or decaying. As it grows, it will eat and weaken any surface, infecting anything in its path. If it is left to thrive, mold growth can become rampant, taking over a house and causing condemnation in extreme circumstances.
In addition to damaging a home or structure, it can also have lasting effects on the people who are exposed to it. Health problems such as allergic reactions, asthma attacks, eye and/or skin irritation, irritated throats/nose, and lung problems are some of the most common health effects that can occur. Moreover, repeated and elongated mold exposure can increase one’s sensitivity, causing more severe allergic reactions. Exposure to certain molds that produce toxins called mycotoxins can cause more serious illnesses as well.
Wood that has soaked up water can attract all sorts of pests. Softer wood can equate to an easier home for bugs to nestle up in and lay their eggs. The types of bugs that moist environments attract include carpenter ants, termites, silverfish, beetles, roaches, etc. Carpenter ants and termites also devour this soft, rotting wood, making the structure hollow and weakening the structural integrity of a building.
Not only are insects attracted to water damage, but rats love damp areas as well. When there are leaks or excess water available in the home, this is seen as an oasis of sorts for rodents. They have access to this water to drink, as well as the food in the kitchen or storage area. If any of this water damage has been going on for a while without notice, it can be a long, difficult process to remove these pests.
Water is a huge conductor of electricity, which is why water and electricity are such a dangerous combination. When there is neglected water damage in your home, there is a risk that the water has been electrically charged, depending on where the damage is located. Wiring that is water damaged is more prone to sparking and electrical injuries. Moreover, the exposure of water to electricity over time can cause oxidation, leading to leaks in the pipes and even shorted-out wires are not properly taken care of.
A lot of the time, water damage goes unnoticed or neglected. Because of that, a lot of the items in our home can be damaged over time. Some of the most sentimental items that we own are stored away in boxes located in the basement or attic, areas that are prone to water damage. Areas like these aren’t visited often, and once water damage sets in, your contents may already be damaged. Luckily, there are professionals available to help restore these items back to their original state. Contents cleaning restoration can bring back these items, such as documents, clothing, artwork, heirlooms, antiques, dishes, furniture, and so much more. Professionals at All About Contents want to help you restore these precious items. They care about bringing these important items back to you as they know they are irreplaceable.